South Moreton Eco News
In July 2017 we were awarded Green Flag Status for another 2 years. South Moreton remains committed to our role as an Eco School. Please see the minutes below for an example of how we put this into practice:
Minutes of meeting Friday 7th July 2017
I discussed the visit next Friday by the Green Flag assessor and that she may want to talk to them about their role this year. We had biscuits and gave ourselves a big pat on the back!
I asked the Eco Warriors to brainstorm everything positive they, and the school, have achieved this school year:
- Held regular litter picks
- Kept the bird hide tidy and filled up bird feeders weekly to attract the wild birds.
- Tried to encourage classes to come out and use the hide and wildlife area more.
- Planted plants in the quiet, sensory garden that attract bees and butterflies. Also smell nice.
- As a council we drafted out a letter to go home describing the whole school competition: The Parish council asked us to design a road sign to slow down traffic and gave us a reward for the winner. The winning sign will be made and put up in the village as a traffic calming measure.
- There has been a cake and garden produce sale to raise money for a wildflower meadow and a new shed, £114 raised!
- We met at least twice a month.
- We have new energy recording monitors for the classroom.
- We organized a switch off day.
- We held an assembly about saving energy.
- Held a worm count as part of the "What’s under our feet?" campaign.
- We all spoke in an ECO assembly to raise school awareness of all ECO matters in school.
- We ordered new litter bins.
- We have a new bee hotel.
- Finch class made a hedgehog hotel.
- Barn Owl class has a new outdoor roof so they can be outside whatever the weather.
They all agreed it had been a very busy year and they desperately want to keep the Green Flag!
On the penultimate Friday of term, the Volunteer ECO Assessor came to have a look around school and talk to our ECO Warriors, she was with us for 2 hours and was very thorough, she asked the ECO councillors a lot of questions and looked at our ECO file in detail. We found out later that day that we had been granted our Green Flag Status for another 2 years! We will have another new flag to fly proudly outside the front of school! Well done to everyone in school and particularly to the ECO Warriors!
We have had a very successful 3 terms of Gardening Club, many thanks to all those who have participated and to those parent volunteers especially to Rob Nickless without whom our crops would not have been so successful and plentiful!